Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Farthest West - al-Maghreb al-Aqsa

"Farthest West", Acrylic, collage on canvas, 2006

Firstly an apology for the lack of activity on here but between my accounts, starting lecturing again and my show I have barely had enough time to sleep.

My show which will open in 3 weeks time in Edinburgh at the Open eye Gallery has now had the title confirmed as "Farthest West -al-Maghreb al-Aqsa". This is what morocco is more commonly known as in the Islamic world, since it is the farthest West from Mecca (the centre of Islam?). I liked the fact that we would regard Morocco as the near East, but not to the rest of Islam. I guess its all relative.

The show is slowly taking shape and I am desperately trying to finish two largish paintings which should hopefully tie up one or two loose ends. The painting above is a combination of collage worked on top with acrylic and employs a depth change from the left to the right. The 3 keys are part of my collection and have cropped up in a few pieces recently. I am fairly happy with this one, so here's hoping the public like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the exhibition Gus. You should have no worries whether or not the public will enjoy the new works. Hope to see you soon, probably October.

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to the expo. Feel that the images on the blog site do not do justice to you talent but give just a taster to the real thing!